Monday, January 16, 2012

.:Rolled Pages Mirror:.




This weekend my goal was to start and finish a project. After a night of pinteresting I had a few Idea's of what I wanted to do. I got this idea here.

What you will need:
Hot glue gun
a few old books
small mirror
Card board
lots of time....
a good movie to watch


This will require at least a movie's worth of page rolling. It was worth it to me though because the finished project looks great on my wall.

I bought two books at goodwill. A thick 500 page book that I roughly used 150 pages from as well as a smaller paper back that was old and the pages had turned brown that I used roughly 150 pages from.

Here is an idea of the difference in size between the two. I did that so I could layer them.





I started by cutting a large doughnut out of cardboard. Actually, I cheated by buying the round cardboard pieces that you put cake on, found in the craft section at wal-mart. I cut a whole in the middle that my mirror would fit snugly into. Then I reinforced the mirror by putting a gluing strips of cardboard behind and gluing it to the doughnut. Hope that makes sense :/













Then I cut my pages out.












Then I rotated between rolling and gluing pages around the mirror. This took a few hours. Start with big rolls all the way around to give it volume and then layer with skinny and short pages.



Make sure you lay them thick and evenly or you will have to do like me and go in and add more after you are done to make it look symmetrical all the way around.


I wish I took more pictures as I was layering and gluing. However, my glue gun broke and I had to post pone the project till I used my mother-in-law's glue gun.




It worked out though because I had wonderful company and help as I finished my project. We were really good at rolling pages by the end of the project.


Starting to get to the finish line. At this point, we hung it on the wall and looked to see where we needed to add more. Then, we flipped it over and glued them in. You can see here where I took the small yellow/brown page book and layered it on the top to make the wreath two toned.






I took some pictures after the fact of things I would of liked to know while doing this project:

I understand that rolling pages might be easy. It took me awhile to get it down and I wished that I had had a step-by-step to give me an idea. So I have made one.

                                                                     
                                                                                            




                                                                                                             glue the end .







to make a tighter cone ^


oh, when I went to walmart to get some supplies....I found this goody in the baking section:


That says SNACK SIZE. Perfect for my house hold where I am the only one who eats brownies. Also, perfect for some of you single ladies who want brownies but don't want to eat a whole pan. .92$ by the way. I used a small dish...around 9x6 it suggests an 8x8. whatever...they were delicious.

happy rolling!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment