Wednesday, January 11, 2012

.:my famous beans and rice:.

How does something earn the title "famous"?

In my book I  would say...when lots of people like it and ask you for the recipe. Well, this is a super easy thing to make. It doesn't taste like your typical beans and rice, so people are always shocked when they try it. Its tangy and savory and delicious and makes great left overs and freezes well and and and and and.....

The credit for this goes to my mom. She adapted it off the back of a can of beans. I adapted it from what I

saw her make. I love it.







The amount of ingredients depends on how much you want to make. I love the leftovers and usually make enough for 10 + servings.

Start with some bacon. You can use bacon bits, a few slices, or none at all. Sometimes I use it most of the time I don't because I rarely have bacon on hand. The rest of the ingredients however I keep stocked in my pantry because this meal can be whipped up on a whim.

Some bacon
1 onion chopped
5 garlic cloves chopped
24 oz jar of pace salsa
4 cans of beans ( I mix black and pinto)
half a lime give or take
cilantro( dried or fresh)
Tabasco sauce
salt 
pepper

Rice
butter
chicken stock
water

Before you start the beans....get the rice going. I picked up some tips on how to cook delicious rice from a "Julia's Kitchen Tips" book and adapted it a little bit. Start by sauteing the rice in a little bit of butter to get some flavor in it. I usually make 2 cups of rice for my husband and I( 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of liquid) and will make more rice as we eat more left overs. 

After the rice takes on a bit of color and a nutty smell add your liquid. I use half water and half chicken stock  PLUS two extra tablespoons of water so that my rice is not dry. It will make it nice and fluffy with that little boost of water. Get it boiling with the lid on and let it boil for 7-10 mins(you will see the rice start to absorb the water but at this point there is still about an inch of water on top of the rice). Then turn the heat to low and leave it alone until your meal is finished. Do not open the lid during this point. It will let the steam out. I usually leave mine for ten to fifteen extra mins. Once you are ready to serve up the rice take off the lid and fluff your rice with a fork. YUM. 

If you want to add chicken to your meal then cook up some chicken with a little bit of salt and pepper and set it aside to add it to your beans after they get started. I like to use left overs from a rotisserie chicken.

If you are going to use bacon cook that up real quick, drain the fat leaving just a little in the frying pan  and set the bacon aside. Saute your onions in the same pan you fried your bacon in until they are fragrant and translucent. If you are not using bacon then add a little vegetable oil to a frying pan. When it smokes, throw in your onions and start sauteing.

Add your garlic and cook for 1-2 mins until you start to smell it!

drain the beans and add it to the pan mixture along with the salsa, chopped or dried cilantro, lime juice,chicken, bacon, and salt and pepper. Allow it to cook on medium bubbling nicely, for about 20 mins or more. Your mouth will start to water at this point. When it smells ready or you just can't take it any more throw in a few dashes of Tabasco sauce and dish yourself up some rice and beans.

I hope this works for you. I change it all the time adding things or NOT adding things when I am out of stuff. Really what makes this good is the tanginess that the salsa and lime bring to it as well as the earthiness of the cilantro.

Happy Cooking!

p.s. K-Dat, call me if you have any questions. Besides I would love to hear your voice.


POST UPDATE:

Made this dish the other night and added a fried egg and avacado.... DELICIOUS.




No comments:

Post a Comment