Friday, September 30, 2011

.Crafty Crafty.



This was A LOT of fun.

The concept is that you take and hot glue crayons onto a white canvas and then with a blow dryer you melt them and they drip. I like the messy look of the colorful wax dripping down the canvas.

Here is what I did wrong:

I peeled the paper of the crayons thinking it would look better but not realizing that with a blow dryer there isn't direct heat so the wax was spraying everywhere when I started to try and melt the crayons. If I had left the paper on, the paper would have funneled the wax down as it melted.


That's why in the picture above you see me using a blow torch thingy. It's my father-in-law's. He has lots of cool little things like that.

Second, I used a lot of dark colors. It would have looked a lot cooler if I had used brighter colors. I am going to do it again on a smaller canvas with brighter colors.

bottom line...it was fun. I'm sure you can get crazy with it but for the most part....well it was just fun.

I'm not sure if I should post the finished product....I wasn't a huge fan of what it looked like because the dark colors just sort of ran together.

Let me know how yours turns out if you make one!

2 comments:

  1. I am totally doing this! And I want to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this with my little brothers! its so much fun! you can see the post here http://hollysomm.blogspot.com/2011/09/super-crafty.html

    the kids loved it. We gave it to their mom as a present and she has it hanging in her living room. Its great project for everyone and i've seen people do different shapes as well! The blow-dryer takes a long time...I like the blow-torch idea! much faster! lol

    ReplyDelete